Even the best HVAC systems yield to the effects of wear and tear, but don’t wait for yours to completely break down to take action. Air Solutions Mechanical Services shares a list of signs that indicate it’s time to call for heating repair or replacement.
- Strange Noises – Heat pumps are mechanically just air conditioners in reverse, and therefore should be emitting a smooth and steady hum while in operation. Any other sounds, like thumping, squealing or rattling noises indicate trouble. A certified HVAC technician should take a look at your heat pump and determine the extent of the problem before deciding between repair or replacement.
- Increased Energy Consumption – Check your energy bills for the past twelve months. Did your energy consumption increase during the summer and winter months? If so, your HVAC system may be part of the problem. Normal wear and tear can diminish heat pump efficiency, to the point where, despite a well-insulated home, your heat pump would be consuming more energy just to reach the room’s ideal temperature.
- Diminished Air Flow – If your heat pump isn’t blowing as much heat as it should, even with the correct thermostat settings, it indicates trouble that will require the attention of a certified HVAC technician. There’s a chance that air duct cleaning can resolve the problem, if the problem turns out to be caused by accumulated dust and dirt. It also helps to regularly clean the air filters.
- Inconsistent Temperatures – While wrong thermostat settings are often to blame for inconsistent indoor temperatures, it can also mean there’s a problem with the heat pump itself. Once you have performed thermostat troubleshooting and you’re still getting inconsistent indoor temperatures, call an HVAC technician.
- Your Heat Pump is Simply Too Old – With proper care and maintenance, HVAC systems are expected to last 10 to 15 years. If your HVAC system is much older than that, it may be time to buy a new one. If your HVAC system is built before 1996, then all the more reason there is to replace it, as it may still contain the ozone-depleting refrigerant HCFC-22 or R-22.
To learn more about our heating and cooling repair services, call Air Solutions Mechanical Services today at (847) 453-3001. You can also fill out our contact form to schedule an appointment. We serve Island Lake, IL, and surrounding areas.